What affects professional makeup artist prices and what should you be paying for your makeup artist services?
Just like any profession there are talented makeup artists and there are not so talented makeup artists.
There are makeup artists who are really really great at producing one style of makeup, but not so great at doing anything else.
When you’re booking your wedding makeup artists, what is most important is to find someone who is going to be the right fit for you!
I want to talk to you for a moment about prices and what you should be considering before selecting your makeup artist for your big day. Keep reading to find out 4 reasons why makeup artist prices are what they are.
Why Do Makeup Artists Charge So Much? What Affects Makeup Artist Prices?
In this section I will touch on several key factors to remember about your makeup artist prices and what you should remember affects the cost of doing business with a professional makeup artist.
#1 – We travel to you.
- The cost of a vehicle or public transportation is something you need to remember
- The cost of fuel
- The cost of maintenance
- The cost of car insurance
# 2 – Time is Money
- You are not just paying for the time it takes to actually do your makeup
- You’re paying for all the communication back and forth time it takes to book you and answer all of your questions
- You’re paying for the time it takes for me to travel to you, and to travel back home after your appointment.
- You’re paying for the time it takes to clean all of the tools used on you and your group
- Our time is valuable just like yours and our work does not stop when your makeup application is done
- The time it takes me to go shopping for new products
- The time I spend and have spent educating myself and attending classes and workshops
# 3 – Supplies are Expensive
- Have you ever purchased makeup? The answer is likely yes and if so you know that makeup is not cheap.
- Makeup artists are expected and required to have top quality products available in every shade, texture and tone.
- It costs a lot of money to properly stock a full makeup kit.
- Makeup has a shelf life, it does expire. Professional makeup artists will always keep their kits fresh and doing so is very expensive
# 4 – Running a Business is Expensive
- If you are reading this article (which you obviously are at this point) then you are on my website… which I pay money to host every year.
- I also invest time into writing this material, updating my photo images, and keeping everything here up to date.
- Business Insurance – That’s right, we pay that too.
- HST – Legitimate businesses like Modern Makeup charge and pay HST to the government.
- Paying employees
Take a look at this super accurate video that is talking about the same thing, but with photographers:
Makeup artist prices can vary by huge amounts! In general, the more experienced the artist, the more they will be charging.
Makeup artists today are having trouble making an honest living because so many people do not fully understand what we do and all the factors that should be considered.
Makeup artistry is my career. I have to charge the rates I charge because if I did not I would never stop moving and everyone would be taking advantage of my talents. I would end up having to close my business because I could not sustain all the expenses that go along with being the best at what you do. Learn more about me here.
If you want the best makeup artists, they are worth paying double for. Like I always say to my brides…. How much money are you investing into your professional photography? Typically everyone has a high budget for photography, and practically no budget for the makeup which is the #1 thing that everyone is going to see in those expensive photos you’re paying for.