Why hire a professional makeup artist for your wedding day?
There are so many expenses when it comes to planning your wedding day.
With so many expenses, there are always areas brides look back on and think “I really could have cut that expenses, I wish I didn’t spend so much on my ____”
Usually I find that blank space is something like, “napkins, candles, flowers, chair covers, shots (lol), shoes (no one sees them in a typical dress anyways), etc”.
So many couples invest a ton of money into their wedding day. They spend quite a bit of their budget on their photographer.
Capturing your special day has to be one of the most important parts for a lot of people and I can totally agree with that. The photos are how you can look back and remember that wonderful day (that cost you so much for a lot of people).
I understand not everyone is into makeup, and to be honest I find that most of my clients are people who do not wear much makeup on the regular, they are hiring me because they do not know how to do the look themselves.
Take a look at this post where I talk about all the expenses makeup artists incur and why you should be paying more to work with a professional artist.
Wedding makeup can be very demanding, and if your artist is not experienced they may not have what it takes to make you and your bridal party look absolutely perfect.
Here are some important factors to consider which make bridal makeup that much more tricky:
- For some brides, makeup can need to last for up to 20 hours!
- Many weddings take place during the hot summer months. You must use the right products to combat the heat / sweat or else you could look disastrous very quickly.
- Most people cry. Maybe you think you won’t… but are you willing to gamble that you won’t? Maybe you won’t cry but everyone else in your bridal party might. A professional is already 10 steps ahead and will be using all long wear and waterproof products. I just assume
- You need to look perfect in person, but also for the camera
- Makeup for real life and makeup for photography are two totally different worlds and will look a lot different in person
- Find a makeup artist who can make you look perfect in person, but also for your photos.
- Products used will be better quality for the more experienced and more expensive professionals.
- Avoid products that could cause a makeup flashback (white cast that appears in photos if the wrong products are used [This happens all the time with inexperienced artists]).
Check out our Wedding Makeup Portfolio HERE.
So What Does a Professional Makeup Artist Cost?
Prices professional makeup artists charge will vary a lot and will include different things. Most people charge extra for false eyelashes ($10-50) and at Modern Makeup we always include them.
Having your makeup “professionally” done can range anywhere from $75-400 for your quality “professional”. I would say that beginners are charging somewhere in the $35-75 range. Celebrity makeup artists typically start between $200-500 and can go into the thousands.
You can take a look at our wedding makeup and hair prices listed here.